Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mount Vernon




I took this photo on a stormy afternoon where I could take advantage of the dark sky behind the church. That didn't quite happen, but I do like the angle I got while trying to crop out cars.

To the right is the Peabody Conservatory. Construction on this building started in 1859. It was built in 2 parts-a recital hall that was completed in 1866 and a library that was finished in 1878. The concert hall looks much like it did in the 19th century and seats about 600 people. I was in this concert hall a few years back. During the book fair there was a free recital so I went in to both see the hall and to enjoy the music.

Like the Peabody but I have been inside the Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church, and the tall spire in the background of this photo is part of it. The building is made of six kinds of stone, including green serpentine, gray stone and sandstone. It was completed on November 12, 1872. I taught art for the YMCA and one summer our camp landed in the basement of this church. (The kind people hosted us after our original site fell through.) There are several small rooms in the basements that made great classrooms and it was very comfortable teaching there. One room even had a pretty fireplace in it. Upstairs, the organist would practice on certain days and some kids were impressed and thought of the organist as more like the Phantom of the Opera. According to the church's web site the music is made by a M.P. Moller organ that consists of 3,287 pipes! The pews in the church are made of American Walnut and can accommodate about 900 people. Every time I walk by the basement windows now I think of all the little kids from that summer.

1 comment:

hemlock said...

That walk up Charles is one of my favorite walks in the city. I remember it, first, from being there as a child taking piano lessons. And, too, my mother's 1933 graduation from Maryland General as a Registered Nurse took place in that church. It think of how big a day that was for her every time I go through there.